Monday 18 August 2014

Confession

Monday 18 August 2014
    Being a cradle catholic, I am always proud to declare my faith in public. Yes, I am a Catholic. Although I cannot label myself godly and pure, but at least I do acknowledge God as my creator and Jesus as my lord and savior. I will never trade my faith for something else.

    I went for confession last Saturday. What is a confession? Confession is one of the least understood of the sacraments of the Catholic Church. In reconciling us to God, it is a great source of grace, and Catholics are encouraged to take advantage of it often. What makes it so special is that, only Catholics receive this sacrament, as other Christians do not believe in it. Some claimed that we Catholics are lunatics, confessing sins to a mortal priest, that we do not follow the teachings of the Bible. (However, traditional or "high" Episcopalians have confessions. The Lutherans also have a ritual for reconciliation.) 


 BUT! In fact,  this institution occurred on Easter Sunday, when Christ first appeared to the apostles after his Resurrection. Breathing on them, he said: Receive the Holy Spirit. For those whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven; for those whose sins you retain, they are retained” (John 20:22-23).  Jesus Christ himself gave his apostles authority to forgive sins. Amen?


   However, venial sins can be confessed directly to God, but for grave or mortal sins, which crush the spiritual life out of the soul, must be confessed. After confession, the priest would give penance.

(An act of self-mortification or devotion performed voluntarily to show sorrow for a sin or other wrongdoing)    


Confession
Confessional Room

    When I entered the room and murmured " In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Bless me Father, for I have sinned." , my lips started to quiver and tears began to form. I could somehow sense God's mercy within me. 


    Although we humans are not made perfect. We sin. We fall. But if we are really sorry for all the wrongdoings we have done, God is always ready to show mercy, to forgive us. Why? Because He loves us. 


    If you are a Catholic, think, when was your last confession? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Aly's Blog © 2014